At Elliott Masie’s Learning 2005 Conference there was a session on Learning R&D efforts within organizations. This seems like a great idea to me. The Masie Center has offered to host a discussion on the conference’s wiki, at this web address. It’s just getting started, but I seeded the discussion with the following goals one might have for an Internal Learning Practice R&D effort. I repeat that here. Please comment.
Goals for Internal Learning R&D Group:
- Evaluate the possibilities for new learning technologies versus organizational needs and opportunities.
- Compile research-based best practices to share with internal instructional professionals.
- Look for opportunities to evaluate current training offerings on learning effectiveness, behavior change, and business results.
- Encourage an more entrepreneurial or experimental mindset within the organization’s learning practice, to enable small test-case trials of learning innovations.
- Help the organization build a set of standards for the organization’s learning practice, including ethical considerations related to effectiveness as well.